Indie game studio Black Tabby Games releases Episode 2 of the choice-driven horror adventure visual novel, Scarlet Hollow on Steam today.
In Scarlet Hollow, visit the dying Appalachian coal town for the funeral of your long-lost aunt, and find yourself embroiled in a generations-long mystery that threatens an entire town. The game features hand-drawn art and writing from award-winning graphic novelist Abby Howard (The Last Halloween, Junior Scientist Power Hour, The Crossroads at Midnight.)
Scarlet Hollow has been critically acclaimed for its masterful blend of humor and horror by DreadXP, The Escapist, Nerdist, PC Gamer, PCGamesN, and others, with Episode 1 scoring an 8.5/10 on RPG Fan, and an 8/10 on CG Mag Online.
- A heavily branching narrative where your choices matter. The relationships you forge and the decisions you make will dramatically alter your journey.
- Terrifying and funny. Charming characters and snappy dialogue flip to pulse-pounding horror at a moment’s notice.
- A complex relationship system that changes how characters act around you. Characters don’t just like or dislike you. Become friendly rivals, bitter adversaries, best friends, or mild acquaintances with everyone in town based on how you approach the story.
- Trait-based dialogue and role-playing. 21 different character builds change how you interact with the world and how your story unfolds.
- Original monster designs inspired by Appalachian myths and cryptids.
- Five romance options. Whether you’re into goths, dads, Youtubers, mysterious recluses, or lo-fi beats to study and water your plants to, we’ve got all your bases covered.
- Mountains of hand-drawn and traditionally inked sprites and backgrounds. Every background in the game is drawn by hand and inked on massive 19×24 inch paper, and each major character has dozens of hand-drawn sprites that interact with backgrounds and capture a full range of lighting, emotion, environment, and outfit changes.
- A chilling original soundtrack.