The long-awaited action adventure game Golem makes its digital debut today, exclusively for PlayStation®VR, and is coming physically to North America on Friday, Nov. 22. From the development team of Halo and Destiny industry veterans at Highwire Games and from publisher Perp Games, Golem takes players through a unique open world experience filled with intrigue, challenging combat and exploration.
Though bedridden after a serious accident, protagonist Twine comes into possession of a Dream Stone which allows them to control massive stone golems – and much smaller friends –to discover the secrets of a labyrinthian and dangerous city, abandoned and closed off from the world by a magical barrier. The city holds treasure, artifacts and foes, as well as a deeper mystery connecting it to Twine’s family. Earnest exploration is balanced with fast-paced and punishing combat, facing ancient enemies that require a mastery of blocking, parrying and counterattacking to defeat.
Golem’s haunting soundtrack “Echoes of the First Dreamer” was crafted by award-winning composer Marty O’Donnell, creator of the Halo and Destiny soundtracks, and is included as a downloadable exclusive with the physical edition of the game.
- Multiple Control Options – Players can use PlayStation®Move Controllers for a unique movement system, physically leaning forward to walk and wielding weapons with the dominant hand. A joint DualShock®Controller and PlayStation Move setup offers an alternative approach, moving with the DualShock left analogue stick and controlling weapons with the PlayStation Move Controller.
- Sprawling Open World in VR – Golem offers extensive exploration through an ancient city, which players can traverse from corner to corner, uninterrupted. Almost labyrinthian in scope and layout, the city has a wealth of routes, shortcuts, nooks and crannies. Some lead to loot and enemies, while others to crystal collectibles that shed more light on the history of this magically sealed place and its stone behemoths.
- Challenging Melee Combat – As Twine, players command golems to face enemies in a fast-paced and punishing one-to-one melee combat where mastering the art of blocking, parrying and counterattacking is crucial. Enemy golems have their own unique attack patterns, weapons and movements that require quick responses.
- Specialized Weapons and Artifacts – Twine can make use of a variety of primary and special purpose weapons, gems and masks to upgrade their golem’s capabilities and access to different parts of the ruined city. The threats trapped within the city are forces to be reckoned with, though; if Twine’s golem dies, it is returned to the main city gates and all these key resources – and foes – are reset.
- New Perspectives for Puzzle Solving – In addition to the massive golems, Twine needs to control small dolls to navigate areas that require a new perspective. Danger comes in all shapes and sizes, though, as the doll will encounter insects at eye-level while exploring tunnels, armed only with a crystal light to fend off the swarm.
Golem is available now digitally and coming to major North American retailers including GameStop, Amazon, Best Buy and Target for $39.99 on Friday, Nov. 22. Golem is rated T for Teen by the ESRB for Violence. PlayStation®Camera and one to two PS®Move controllers are required.