RIOT: Civil Unrest out now on Consoles – PC coming next week!
Merge Games Ltd., is proud to announce the release this week of RIOT: Civil Unrest, a real-time riot simulation experience on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch (PC Next Week).
RIOT: Civil Unrest was born out of the real-life experiences of its artist and creator, Leonard Menchiari. During the summer of 2011 Leonard attended the NO-TAV protests in northern Italy. There he witnessed first-hand the actions of both the protestors and law enforcement officers. Thinking the interactive nature of video games would make it the perfect medium to show how riots develop, Leonard put to good use his documentary-making and pixel art skills.
RIOT: Civil Unrest is a unique, thought-provoking experience that places you at the heart of some of the world’s most recent confrontations. A complex strategy game, RIOT: Civil Unrest sets players objectives for each scenario. It’s then up to the individual to choose how to tackle each situation, employing different strategies and tactics in order to achieve the perfect outcome. Discover if you can dispel an angry crowd or overcome a well-equipped militia with RIOT: Civil Unrest. Player performance is rated, aggression can lead to a quick, successful outcome but a softer approach may have the same resolution without damaging public opinion.
Spread across four campaigns and featuring over 30 individual scenarios, from Oakland in California, to Tahrir Square in Egypt and Caracas in Venezuela, RIOT: Civil Unrest lets players control either the protestors or law enforcement, in an effort to portray a balanced view of each event.
Play as the Police
- Employ numerous crowd-control tactics, both passive and aggressive.
- Command Assault, Tactical and Ballistic squads.
- Call in police trucks, water cannons or even a tank!
- Choose whether to use smoke grenades, rubber and plastic bullets, or even live ammunition.
Play as the Rioters
- Instruct Rioters (armed and passive), and Journalists.
- Incite rage and cause the masses to act aggressively or try to calm the situation with tactical crowd reformation and retreats.
- Attack authority with Molotov cocktails, fireworks, paper-bombs, rocks, street furniture and the power of the media.