Tecmo was only showing four games and none of them were new franchises. Nonetheless, DOA Ultimate is probably one of the most anticipated online fighting games headed our way and sequels to Gallop Racer and Fatal Frame are always welcome additions to our gaming library.
Here are some highlights from the Tecmo booth.
Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox)
Tecmo’s esteemed development group, Team Ninja, has created the ultimate Dead or Alive fighting experience, Dead or Alive Ultimate, by coupling the original version of Dead or Alive™ with a completely redesigned Dead or Alive™ 2 on the Xbox video game system to create one of the first 3-D online fighting games to date. Both games will be Xbox™ Live multi-player compatible enabling you to test your fighting skills against a vast community of gamers from around the world.
Xbox Live fighting will be redefined when DOA Ultimate releases September 2004.
- Dead or Alive 1 Ultimate. In 1997 the original Dead or Alive fighting game, long considered to be one of the greatest masterpieces in the series, was released only in Japan. Now, the graphics of the original version, beautifully crafted by Tecmo’s Team Ninja to be the most advanced at that time, will make their first appearance in the North American Territory, perfectly rendered, on the powerful Xbox Video Game Console in Dead or Alive Ultimate.
- Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate. Dead or Alive 2, one of the most popular fighting games of all time with over 2 million in sales since its inception in 2000, is ready to explode back onto the gaming scene with Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate. Exquisitely redesigned on a brand new engine, DOA2U boasts amazing new interactive environments made possible by the incredible power of the Xbox. Gorgeous crystal clear graphics, new fighting moves, and never before seen costumes are also combined to create the ultimate in fighting games
- Xbox™ Live Compatibility. Dead or Alive Ultimate, one of the world’s first fully online 3D fighting games, will utilize the highly advanced online capabilities of Microsoft’s Xbox Live service by featuring a multitude of online features and 7 different online play modes creating the world’s largest online community of fighting game fans.
- Special Collector’s Edition Packaging. For a limited time Dead or Alive Ultimate will boast the ultimate in packaging with a special collector’s edition 2-disc set. Collectible trading cards featuring the characters of the games and their special moves will be included in the packaging as an added bonus.
GunGriffon takes place in a hostile futuristic world where there is little hope for survival among the human race. The earth’s resources have been exhausted and people are continuously splitting into groups to fight for what is left of it. The player takes on the role of a renegade soldier, enlisted in an anti-tank troop, who’s prime mission is to take down armored tanks, the ultimate ground weapon used to destroy the earth and any living thing that gets in its way. The player uses their entrusted machine called a “High Mac” (High-Mobility Armored Combat System) to fight the battery of armed soldiers and sinister machines that await them on the battlefield. Boasting full Xbox™ Live compatibility with a multi-player online mode and a variety of exciting missions, the new GunGriffon offers an exhilarating and unique spin on mech action games
Look for the ultimate mech action title headed to your Xbox this holiday season.
- Xbox™ Live Compatibility- A thrilling online multi-player mode where players will be able to form teams with other players online, taking down the strongest of enemies with quick and smooth communications using the voice chat function within the game. To win the mission, players must become skilled at strategizing tactics and coordinating each action with their fellow team members in order to bring the enemy down and reign victorious.
- A Variety of Modes- The new GunGriffon features single-player, multi-player, and online modes, all designed to offer the maximum in game play excitement.
- The Ultimate Weapon- The, “High Mac” is a next generation high mobility weapon used throughout the game as the player’s ultimate weapon and ally. Players will use their high mac to move through the treacherous battlefields, with its arsenal of weapons that change depending on battlefield conditions.
- Realistic Looking Tanks and Helicopters- The real life look and feel of the hostile tanks and helicopters in the game offer a more realistic and unique gaming experience.
- Thrilling Missions- A variety of difficult missions, each with its own objective, that the player will have to clear before moving forward in the game, leads to a more stimulating and enriching gaming experience.
Gallop Racer 2004 (PS2)
The fourth installment of everyone’s favorite horse racing series is back this fall in Gallop Racer 2004. Boasting the most realistic racing to date, Gallop Racer 2004 completely immerses the player into the world of horse racing from start to finish! High-resolution graphics, advanced racing, and a variety of new modes take Gallop Racer 2004 to a higher level in digital horse racing fun. Old favorites such as the betting system and the classic season mode will also be back in the new title, promising to make Gallop Racer 2004 the best horse racing game to date!
This was probably one of the coolest games being shown at E3 simply for the festive atmosphere with sexy female jockeys cheering the horses that were racing on the big screen. Guests at the booth were allowed to bet on their favorite horse and win free games and pose for pictures with the jockeys. The game should prove as much fun as the booth when it releases this September.
- Enhanced Revolution Mode. Players will now be able to experience the perfect ride using the “Ability” setting to create an enhanced revolution called the “Big Revolution”. Dramatic graphics such as the screen breaking into a million pieces like a mirror will add to the player’s rush once they achieve the “Big Revolution”.
- Affinity of Ability System. A new breeding system that allows the player to produce a maximum of eight original horses at one time. Once created these horses can be used as either the player’s ride of choice or used as a rival’s horse.
- Increased Camera Angles. Allowing the player to see their horse from every angle during the race will keep their blood pumping!
- Season Mode. With over 17 characters battling it out for the title of top jockey, the season mode has never been hotter or more intense!
- New Stages. Various new stages such as competitions against rivals and negotiations with trainers help to create the complete horse racing experience.
- Improved Graphics. High-resolution textures, enhanced effects, and improved use of shadow and depth of color immerse have been included to make the game look more natural and realistic.
- More Tracks and Horses. Featuring over 4,000 new horses and 42 tracks.